Sunday, March 31, 2013

Grumpy grump grump

I started today planning to visit the Ethical Culture Society meeting. I didn't make it there. Then I thought it would be nice to go on a hike. In spite of murmurings in the affirmative, nobody has moved.

Holidays are hard, even when you don't celebrate them. Everybody around is busy, restaurants are full, and I feel like I'm supposed to be doing something--decorating eggs, eating chocolate for breakfast, attending church--that I have never done and that has no meaning to me. But everyone else is doing those things today.

Yesterday, I attended a Passover celebration at my cousin's house, which was wonderful--great people, traditional foods, and a lovely mini-seder for those who hadn't gotten around to one yet. The kids got to find the matzah and get prizes, and there were truffles.

But when I got home, I realized that International Tabletop Day was almost over, and I missed it because of the holiday. (Although we did have a nice game of Munchkin before Boo's bedtime, because I couldn't let a holiday like International Tabletop Day go completely unobserved.)

Today I'm feeling very grouchy about religion--like having a religion is making me miss fun things that I want to do, and not having a religion is making me miss fun things that everyone else is doing.

Grumpy grump grump.

Just to be clear, I love going to my cousin's house every year for her Passover celebration, and yesterday was no different. Not only that, I love that Boo loves going there. It's somewhere that I went every year as a child (not for this event, but for others) and always remembered fondly, so it's wonderful that Boo is also making fond memories there.

It's just that feeling when two things you want to do happen at the same time, and you can't do both, combined with today's resentment of Easter, that's making me grumpy.

But Boo wants to go on a hike now, so maybe I can make today a nice day anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment