Monday, March 18, 2013

Steubenville

I'm simply horrified by everything to do with the Steubenville rape case.

I'm horrified that this event happened--that a drunk girl could be raped and dragged around and raped again.

I'm horrified that the teens involved were stupid enough to post it all on the internet.

I'm horrified that this girl was shamed for what was done to her while she was unconscious.

I'm horrified that this girl's parents had to see these pictures in order to advocate for their daughter.

I'm horrified that the testimony revealed that none of this seemed out of the ordinary to any of the (awake) teens involved.

I'm horrified that the witnesses were granted immunity.

I'm horrified that the rapists were given only two years in jail.

I'm horrified that the judge recommended that rapists not put evidence on the internet in future.

I'm horrified that the major news networks seem to sympathize with the rapists, rather than the victim.

I'm horrified that FOX seems to have revealed the identity of the victim.

And mostly I'm horrified that our culture teaches men that they deserve sex and women that they should both submit to men and never have sex. It is a culture that ensures that rapes like this will happen, that boys will disseminate pictures of unconscious, naked girls and that people will lament the loss to the boys of their reputations while calling the victim a slut.


No comments:

Post a Comment