Thursday, January 3, 2013

Knitting is weird

Last week, Boo learned to knit while at Hopper's mother's house. Boo came home and was knitting enthusiastically when she suddenly dropped half her stitches. I didn't know how to help her, so the knitting was put aside until she went for a visit to my parents, where my mom gave her new needles and wool that she liked better, and the knitting started again.

I decided I'd better learn this or Boo would end up frustrated quite often. I watched a few YouTube videos, borrowed Boo's first set of needles and wool, and started knitting. So far I've made a blob, a wonky doll scarf, and a less-wonky doll scarf. Not bad for two days' work!

I'm not sure yet if knitting is the hobby for me. I suspect that it's too frustrating, and I'll give it up before long. But that's okay--I know the knit stitch and how to cast on and bind off, and I just figured out how to make fringe. If Boo wants to do more than that I won't feel bad sending her elsewhere for support. For now, while she's a beginner, she needs my help and I'm glad I've picked up enough to give her that help.

It's also something I never would have tried if it wasn't for Boo. I love that she has that effect on me. I do a lot of things because Boo's excitement makes me want to join in. Hopefully, she'll always do that to me, and we'll keep having fun together.

1 comment:

  1. What a great Mum you are to try and learn something new just to be able to support Boo. Be careful though... everyone will be expecting scarves as presents soon!

    ReplyDelete