Tuesday, May 28, 2013

VB6

I just got Mark Bittman's new book VB6. The idea is to eat vegan food until 6PM and then you can eat whatever you want, but with the general idea that you're mostly going to eat plant-based food and try to keep junk food to a rare treat.

This is a hard concept for me because I ADORE breakfast--eggs, pancakes, french toast, yogurt--and avoiding meat at dinner isn't a big deal for me. Maybe I should flip it and eat vegan after breakfast. Either way, I've now got a bunch of good, vegan recipes for breakfasts and lunches (and many of those lunches make perfectly good dinners) as well as non-vegan dinner items with lots of veggies in them. Bittman also makes a point of letting you know where you can substitute different veggies or proteins so the recipes become more versatile.

So I'm going to see if it helps. One thing I really like is that Bittman always emphasizes eating real food, so there are no recipes in the book using fake meat or cheese. So hopefully I can balance my diet better, whether or not I commit to the VB6 lifestyle.

We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of the book, but I'll be sure to check it out. Good luck! I don't think I could eat vegan for very long

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why Bittman does it this way. His doctor told him to become vegan for health reasons and he knew he couldn't hack it. But he's vegan until 6PM and then makes sure he has more veggies than meat at dinner, and keeps the junk food as an occasional treat. If he wants cheese, or bacon, he can have it, he just has to wait until after 6PM and have it with veggies. It's working for him.

    ReplyDelete